一杯咖啡,千份感謝!
Over two billion cups of coffee are consumed every day, and it takes a lot of people to make just one cup.
全球每天喝掉超過 20 億杯咖啡,要做出 1 杯咖啡可是需要許多人的努力。
One man went on a quest to figure out what it’s like to thank each and every one of them.
一位男子踏上旅程,決心要找到並謝謝貢獻出這杯咖啡的每一個人。
A.J. Jacobs is a writer who lives in New York City.
A.J. Jacobs 是一名住在紐約市的作家。
Hi, I’m A.J.
你好,我是 A.J.。
And he’s the first to admit he can be a bit of a grouch.
他自己承認,他是個會發牢騷的人。
My default state is grumpiness.
我基本上就是一個暴躁的人。
I am very good at noticing all the things that go wrong.
我很擅長發現很多不妥的地方。
So, to make a change, he started giving thanks during dinner.
所以為了做出改變,他開始在晚餐時說出感謝。
I would say “thank you” to everyone who helped make my meal.
我會向每一位製作我餐點的人說「謝謝」。
Until one night.
直到某一晚。
My 10-year-old son was like, “You know, Dad, those people can’t hear you.”
我的十歲兒子說,「爸,你知道吧,那些人聽不到你說的話。」
“If you really cared, you would go and thank these people in person.”
「如果你真的在乎,你應該親自和他們每一位說謝謝。」
And that’s when the light bulb went off.
這時候點子就來了。
He decided to hone in on something he knew he took for granted every day.
他決定從每天早上被他視為理所當然的東西開始。
My morning cup of coffee.
我的早晨咖啡。
Over the next 12 months, A.J. set out to thank every single person who had even the smallest role in his morning cup of joe.
接下來一年,A.J. 出發去感謝每一位製作他早晨咖啡的人,即使只是其中小小的一員。
First, it was his local barista, the roaster, and the coffee shop sourcer.
首先是當地的咖啡師、咖啡烘焙師和咖啡店採購人員。
Whenever I thanked one person, they would say, “Well, I couldn’t do my job without this person.”
每當我感謝一個人,他們會說,「要不是誰誰誰,我也沒辦法完成我的工作。」
So, one person led to another, led to another, led to another.
所以一個人會連到另一個人,另一個人又連到另一個。
He ventured outside the city, and eventually the country.
他出了紐約市,最後甚至出國。
I thanked the folks who provide electricity to the coffee shop, the engineers who provide the water, the people who make the steel, the farmer, and the importer, the truck driver, the person who paved the road, even the woman who painted the yellow lines in the road so that my coffee beans could safely arrive at my coffee shop.
我感謝提供電力給咖啡店的人、提供用水的工程師、煉鐵的人、農夫和進口商、卡車司機、鋪路的人,甚至是在馬路上畫雙黃線、讓我的咖啡豆平安抵達咖啡店的一位女士。
I remember I called the woman who does pest control for the warehouse and I said, “I know this sounds strange, but I want to thank you for keeping the insects out of my coffee.”
我還記得,我打電話給在倉庫負責害蟲控管的女士,我說,「我知道這聽起來很奇怪,但我想感謝你防止昆蟲進到我的咖啡裡。」
And she said, “Well, that does sound strange, but, thank YOU, you know, I don’t get a lot of appreciation in my job.”
然後她說,「是很奇怪,但謝謝你。你知道嗎,我這個工作不常被人感謝。」
All in, A.J. ended up thanking over 1,000 different people, and while most were pleasantly surprised by his gratitude, it’s A.J. who benefited the most.
到了最後,A.J. 總共感謝了超過 1,000 個人,雖然他們大多數人都被他的感激驚喜到,卻是 A.J. 本人獲得最多。
The experience has made me grateful for the hundreds of things that go right every day as opposed to the three or four that go wrong.
這個體驗讓我學會感激生活中的幾百件事物,而不是糾結於小小幾件出錯的事。
I tell my friends that they should try these gratitude trails themselves.
我告訴我的朋友,他們也應該試著去付出感謝。
They could just be small gestures—looking someone in the eye, the cashier at the drugstore.
可以是一個小舉動,像是正眼看某人,比如藥妝店的收銀員。
It could be sending a quick note to the designer of a logo you love.
可以是一封簡單的信,寄給你喜歡的商標的設計師。
I will tell you that it will make your life better.
我跟你說,這能讓你的生活更好。
It’s changed the way I live my life. 這麼做已經改變了我的生活。
[Great Big Story]
[偉大的故事]
One man went on a quest to figure out what it’s like to thank each and every one of them.
一位男子踏上旅程,決心要找到並謝謝貢獻出這杯咖啡的每一個人。
我感謝您們!